27.05.2021 | – Enabling a Circular Economy: How to encourage a viable agricultural market for nutrients recovered from biowaste
This is a virtual event
Thursday, May 27, 2021 – 13:30 – 15:30 CET
Recovering valuable nutrients from biowaste (food waste, manure, sewage sludge, municipal waste etc.) and adapting them for reuse in agriculture, is fundamental part of shifting European agriculture away from its current linear model and an integral part of the New Circular Economy Action plan.
Experience from the H2020 SYSTEMIC project has shown that the major barrier to the uptake of nutrient recovery and reuse (NRR) is the lack of a market for the recovered products, thereby hindering the financial viability of nutrient recovery and reuse in Europe.
Much progress has taken place over the past months to move this agenda forward, most notably the Fertilising Products Regulation and the SAFEMANURE study and RENURE report linked to the Nitrates Directive. And whilst there remains much work to do on both these policies, things are moving in the right direction. However, this will not be enough.
In this workshop, the H2020 project SYSTEMIC aims to bring together experts and practitioners in the field of nutrient recovery and reuse with policy makers to discuss what else needs to be done to create an enabling policy framework for the advancement of NRR in Europe.
• Welcome and introduction to SYSTEMIC – Oscar SCHOUMANS, Coordinator of SYSTEMIC, Wageningen University and Research
• The New Circular Economy Action Plan and Nutrient Recovery – William NEALE, European Commission DG Environment, Advisor, Circular Economy and Green Growth
• Nutrient Recovery and the European Parliament report on the New Circular Economy Action Plan- Jan HUITEMA, MEP
• Cooperation for a Circular Economy: SYSTEMIC in practice – Oscar SCHOUMANS, Coordinator of SYSTEMIC
• Experience from SYSTEMIC and what is needed at a policy level to enable the development of a recovered nutrient market – Ludwig HERMANN, Member of SYSTEMIC, Proman
• Discussion – moderated by Annabelle WILLIAMS, Member of SYSTEMIC, RISE Foundation
• Closing remarks – Oscar SCHOUMANS
This event is organised in the context of the SYSTEMIC project. SYSTEMIC receives funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 Framework Programme for Research and Innovation under Grant Agreement no. 730400